My Instagram Photos

15 July 2014

Domestic Hacks - Super Easy Recipes

The biggest lie I have ever told myself is that I can be domestic!
I can't. 

It should come as no surprise to you by now, my username for most things is "TomboyAmelia", in no way is that to imply I'm lesbian or a feminist. Rather the fact is that at 9, I was building bonfires rather than playing with barbie dolls. At 11 I was climbing trees rather than applying make up. At 13 I was showing the boys how to sharpen pocket knives instead of learning to bake.
And now at 23, well I would do almost anything to get out of boring old house work! 

The thought of the terrible four letter household swear words (Iron, Cook, Bake, Wash) give me the heebiejeebies!
But alas for the grown person I now am - as there truly is no escape from the dreaded household chores as an adult! (sob)
Fortunately, I have a mom who hates household chores nearly as much as I do, and I have google. So between those two, I have learnt some pretty awesome Domestic Hacks (for those of you who don't understand that, the current wording of "hack" is a shortcut to make your life easier when doing a certain job/chore) and this post is to share a couple of the really easy Kitchen Hacks with like minded individuals who may not know these tricks yet, and to give those who are household geniuses a good laugh at my personal expense. 
You're welcome.


I'm not a great cook. I have been known to flop boiled eggs! However, about a year ago, I discovered what has been called by some as "THE WORLD'S MOST DANGEROUS CHOCOLATE CAKE"!
Why so dangerous? Because it takes 5 minutes to make, and tastes incredible! With such a quick  delicious recipe, I guess I'm about to put on weight.
Its easy to make, any idiot can do it (I am proof of that). 
You will need:
A large Mug & a microwave.
4 tablespoons Cake Flour
4 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Cocoa
1 Egg
3 tablespoons Milk
3 tablespoons oil
A drop of vanilla essence 
(sounds amazing already, right?)
You mix the dry ingredients in the mug, add the egg & mix well. Put in the wet ingredients and mix well again. Put your mug on a saucer (because its bound to climb out of your mug) and into the microwave on high for 3 minutes. And there you have it, a moist, delicious chocolate cake in 5 minutes!
I doubled the mix & poured it into 3 mugs for a family treat the other day. Worked perfectly.




Its winter here where we live, and even for Durban standards its been cold lately! Cold enough that I've been craving yummy baked things, like the choc cake above. But, I also discovered a kid's cookbook recently which has foolproof easy recipes! I browsed through it a couple of nights ago and discovered a super easy scone recipe (which cannot flop-yay), and this takes 30 minutes tops to make, nice!
You will need:
500ml Flour
20ml Baking Powder
2ml Salt
60ml Oil
1 Egg (the bigger, the better)
And enough milk to measure 250ml when combined with the oil & egg.
Start with sifting all your dry ingredients together. 
In a separate bowl, mix the egg, oil & milk. 
Fold the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, making sure not to over mix - just mix so that there's nothing dry left but not to make it a smooth mixture.
Pre-heat the oven to 200°c (400°f)
Grease (or sprinkle flour onto) a baking tray. Now put your dough onto the baking tray arranged how you like it (the recipe said to put it in ne big round lump and cut it, but I just dropped dollops spread across the tray and it still turned out nicely).
Put it into the oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Serve warm with cream & jam.

Ok, now I've made myself hungry writing this, so while you drool over the recipes, I'm gonna go grab something to eat.
Happy (quick & easy) baking.